I get lots of emails from people visiting and/or moving to NY, asking for places to eat, sites to see and creative things to do in the city on a budget. So here’s a list of my favorite spots to help those of you coming to the city :)
• Lexington Brass | $$ | 517 Lexington Ave, NY NY 10017 | Killer $50 Champagne prefix for two or $80 Champagne prefix for four. The prefix is huge, rest of the menu is little pricey.
• Lobster Joint | $$ | 201 E Houston St, NY NY 10002 | Lobster eggs Benedict and lobster bloody marys!
• The Sunburnt Cow | $$ | multiple locations, but UWS is my favorite | Affordable and yummy endless mimosa brunch. Gets crowded fast so get there early.
• Enid’s | $$ | 560 Manhattan ave., Brooklyn NY 11222 | Delicious homemade, albeit hipster, food. Very cute and laid back.
• Westville | $$ | multiple locations, my favorite is Chelsea | The specialty is the 4 market sides for $14. Great homemade dessert
• Sea Thai | $$ | multiple locations, SoHo and Meatpacking are my favorite
• Red Bamboo | $$ | 140 W 4th st, NY NY 10012 | Vegetarian and vegan soul food. You can’t believe you’re eating fake meat.
• Chelsea Market | $$ | 75 9th ave, NY NY 10011 | Good food, people watching, clothes and cupcakes
• Beacon’s Closet | $$ | multiple locations, Williamsburg is my favorite | Lots of designer stuff and fun affordable vintage. You can also sell clothes there, but they can be kinda snooty, so don’t be afraid to haggle.
• Loehmann’s | $$ | 101 7th ave, NY NY 10011 | The few designer things I own are from here and I always find amazing stuff that’s not too expensive.
• Nordstrom Rack | $$ | 60 E 14th St NY NY 10003 | You’ll probably have to dig, but it’s totally worth it. They carry up to size 13 (really cute) shoes!
• SoHo | $$ | Lots of brand name stores, cute cafes and cheap no name boutiques with cute one offs.
• Willamsburg | $$ | Hipster central with lots of thrift stores, boutiques, great bars and resturants. Fun for people watching and window shopping.
• The high line | FREE | 122 Gansevoort St. | beautiful views of the city, great for taking pictures
• NYC Free Concerts | FREE | Sign up for the email list to find out about last minute shows and the awesome summer concert series
• Union Square Green Market | FREE | Perfect for people watching
• Karaoke Duet 35 | $$ | 53 w 35th st, 2nd floor | Private Karaoke rooms at $8 an hour per person, with a full bar. Great for big and small groups, just make sure to keep track of the time!
• UCB | $ | 2 locations, both are great | The best live improv, standup and sketch comedy in NY. The Sunday Asscat show regularly features celebs like Amy Poheler and other SNL alums. It sells out quick so buy tickets early.
• Time Out New York | $ | One of the best local magazines. Pick up a copy or check the website for weekly happenings.
• Le Bain & Top of the Standard | $$$ | The Standard Hotel 848 Washington St. | Incredible views of the city, expensive drinks, models and occasional celeb sightings.
• Fuerza Bruta | $$$ | 101 East 15th Street at Union Square | Really fun high flying Cirque style show with great music and costumes. Regular tickets are up to $89 but you can usually get rush tickets for $30